N.R.S. 293C.361 – Electioneering prohibited near polling place; penalty
Overview of Statute
This section prohibits electioneering during early voting and tasks the city clerk with posting signs indicating the area in which electioneering is prohibited. It also provides a penalty for failure to comply.
1. During the time a polling place for early voting is open for voting, a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure or political party in or within 100 feet from the entrance to the voting area.
2. During the period of early voting, the city clerk shall keep continuously posted:
(a) At the entrance to the room or area, as applicable, in which the polling place for early voting is located, a sign on which is printed in large letters “Polling Place for Early Voting”; and
(b) At the outer limits of the area within which electioneering is prohibited, a sign on which is printed in large letters “Distance Marker: No electioneering between this point and the entrance to the polling place.”
3. Ropes or other suitable objects may be used at the polling place to ensure compliance with this section. Persons who are not expressly permitted by law to be in a polling place must be excluded from the polling place to the extent practicable.
4. Any person who willfully violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.
(Added to NRS by 1993, 2172; A 1997, 80, 2783, 2792; 1999, 690)
1. Definition for Political Party
Any minor or major political party.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.073.
2. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
3. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
4. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.