N.R.S. 293C.3608 – City clerk to ensure that mechanical recording devices used for early voting provide record of number of votes; delivery of records and storage devices to central counting place
Overview of Statute
This section provides procedures for counting and storing early voting ballots on election day when using a mechanical recording device.
On election day, the city clerk shall:
1. Ensure that each mechanical recording device used during the period for early voting provides a record of the total number of votes recorded on the device for each candidate and for or against each measure; and
2. Deliver to the central counting place:
(a) The records provided pursuant to subsection 1; and
(b) The storage device required pursuant to NRS 293B.084 from each mechanical recording device used during the period for early voting.
1. Definition for Central counting place
The location designated by the county or city clerk for the compilation of election returns.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.0335.
2. Definition for Mechanical recording device
A device which mechanically or electronically compiles a total of the number of votes cast for each candidate and for or against each measure voted on.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.0657.
3. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
4. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.