N.R.S. 293C.3604 – Mechanical recording devices: Duties of election board at close of each voting day; duties of ballot board for early voting and city clerk at close of last voting day
Overview of Statute
This section provides procedures for city clerks conducting early voting by personal appearance using a mechanical recording device which directly records the votes electronically.
If ballots which are voted on a mechanical recording device which directly records the votes electronically are used during the period for early voting by personal appearance:
1. At the close of each voting day, the election board shall:
(a) Prepare and sign a statement for the polling place. The statement must include:
(1) The title of the election;
(2) The number which identifies the mechanical recording device and the storage device required pursuant to NRS 293B.084;
(3) The number of ballots voted on the mechanical recording device for that day;
(4) The number of signatures in the roster for early voting for that day;
(5) The number of signatures on signature cards for that day; and
(6) The number of signatures in the roster designated for electors who applied to register to vote or applied to vote at the polling place pursuant to NRS 293.5772 to 293.5887, inclusive.
(1) The ballots pursuant to the plan for security required by NRS 293C.3594; and
(2) Each mechanical voting device in the manner prescribed by the Secretary of State pursuant to NRS 293C.3594.
2. At the close of the last voting day, the city clerk shall deliver to the ballot board for early voting:
(a) The statements for all polling places for early voting;
(b) The voting rosters used for early voting;
(c) The signature cards used for early voting;
(d) The storage device required pursuant to NRS 293B.084 from each mechanical recording device used during the period for early voting; and
(e) Any other items as determined by the city clerk.
3. Upon receipt of the items set forth in subsection 2 at the close of the last voting day, the ballot board for early voting shall:
(a) Indicate the number of ballots on an official statement of ballots; and
(b) Place the storage devices in the container provided to transport those items to the central counting place and seal the container with a number seal. The official statement of ballots must accompany the storage devices to the central counting place.
(Added to NRS by 1995, 2773; A 1997, 2782; 1999, 690; 2007, 2616; 2015, 3173; 2017, 3827, 3871; 2019, c.619.)
1. Definition for Election board
The persons appointed by each county or city clerk to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293B.027.
2. Definition for Central counting place
The location designated by the county or city clerk for the compilation of election returns.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.0335.
3. Definition for Mechanical recording device
A device which mechanically or electronically compiles a total of the number of votes cast for each candidate and for or against each measure voted on.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.0657.
4. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
5. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
6. Definition for Board
As used in NRS 295.075 to 295.125, inclusive, unless the context otherwise requires, “board” means the board of county commissioners.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 295.075.
7. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
8. Definition for Roster
The record in printed or electronic form furnished to election board officers which contains a list of eligible voters and is to be used for obtaining the signature of each person applying for a ballot.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.095.
9. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
10. Definition for Elector
A person who is eligible to vote under the provisions of Section 1 of Article 2 of the Constitution of the State of Nevada.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.055.