N.R.S. 293C.3585 – Procedure for early voting
Overview of Statute
This section provides procedures to be followed by election board officers upon appearance of a person casting a ballot for early voting.
1. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 293.5772 to 293.5887, inclusive, and 293C.272, upon the appearance of a person to cast a ballot for early voting, an election board officer shall:
(a) Determine that the person is a registered voter in the county.
(b) Instruct the voter to sign the roster for early voting or a signature card.
(c) Verify the signature of the voter in the manner set forth in NRS 293C.270.
(d) Verify that the voter has not already voted in that city in the current election.
2. If the signature does not match, the voter must be identified by:
(a) Answering questions from the election board officer covering the personal data which is reported on the application to register to vote;
(b) Providing the election board officer, orally or in writing, with other personal data which verifies the identity of the voter; or
(c) Providing the election board officer with proof of identification as described in NRS 293C.270 other than the voter registration card issued to the voter.
3. If the signature of the voter has changed in comparison to the signature on the application to register to vote, the voter must update his or her signature on a form prescribed by the Secretary of State.
4. The city clerk shall prescribe a procedure, approved by the Secretary of State, to verify that the voter has not already voted in that city in the current election.
5. The roster for early voting or signature card, as applicable, must contain:
(a) The voter’s name, the address where he or she is registered to vote, his or her voter identification number and a place for the voter’s signature;
(b) The voter’s precinct or voting district number, if that information is available; and
(c) The date of voting early in person.
6. When a voter is entitled to cast a ballot and has identified himself or herself to the satisfaction of the election board officer, the voter is entitled to receive the appropriate ballot or ballots, but only for his or her own use at the polling place for early voting.
7. If the ballot is voted on a mechanical recording device which directly records the votes electronically, the election board officer shall:
(a) Prepare the mechanical recording device for the voter;
(b) Ensure that the voter’s precinct or voting district, if that information is available, and the form of ballot are indicated on the voting receipt, if the city clerk uses voting receipts; and
(c) Allow the voter to cast a vote.
8. A voter applying to vote early by personal appearance may be challenged pursuant to NRS 293C.292.
(Added to NRS by 1993, 2170; A 1995, 2267, 2779; 1997, 668, 671, 2780; 1999, 690; 2007, 1179, 2615; 2015, 3172; 2017, 3826, 3870; 2019, c.619.)
1. Definition for Election board
The persons appointed by each county or city clerk to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293B.027.
2. Definition for Voting district
An area formed by the consolidation of two or more contiguous precincts.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.121.
3. Definition for Registered voter
An elector who has completed the procedure prescribed by law for registration as a voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.090.
4. Definition for Election board officer
A person appointed to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.050.
5. Definition for Mechanical recording device
A device which mechanically or electronically compiles a total of the number of votes cast for each candidate and for or against each measure voted on.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.0657.
6. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
7. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
8. Definition for Board
As used in NRS 295.075 to 295.125, inclusive, unless the context otherwise requires, “board” means the board of county commissioners.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 295.075.
9. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
10. Definition for Roster
The record in printed or electronic form furnished to election board officers which contains a list of eligible voters and is to be used for obtaining the signature of each person applying for a ballot.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.095.
11. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
12. Definition for Precinct
The smallest voting area in a political subdivision.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.077.