N.R.S. 293C.277 – Announcement of name of registered voter; grounds and procedure for challenging person’s right to vote
Overview of Statute
This section provides procedures for announcing a voter’s name and allows for any person’s right to vote to be challenged by a registered voter on grounds provided for by law.
1. A registered voter who applies to vote at an election must give his or her name to the election board officer in charge of the roster, and the officer shall immediately announce the name of the voter.
2. Any person’s right to vote may be challenged by a registered voter upon any of the grounds allowed for a challenge in NRS 293C.292. Any such challenge must be disposed of in the manner provided in NRS 293C.292.
(Added to NRS by 1997, 3427; A 2015, 3169)
1. Definition for Election board
The persons appointed by each county or city clerk to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293B.027.
2. Definition for Registered voter
An elector who has completed the procedure prescribed by law for registration as a voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.090.
3. Definition for Election board officer
A person appointed to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.050.
4. Definition for Board
As used in NRS 295.075 to 295.125, inclusive, unless the context otherwise requires, “board” means the board of county commissioners.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 295.075.
5. Definition for Roster
The record in printed or electronic form furnished to election board officers which contains a list of eligible voters and is to be used for obtaining the signature of each person applying for a ballot.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.095.
6. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.