N.R.S. 293.820 - Solicitation of contribution for political organization without prior approval or charter
Overview of Statute
This section prohibits the solicitation of contributions for a political organization without prior approval or charter.
1. It is unlawful for any person to solicit a contribution for any organization the title of which incorporates the name, or any form of the name, of any political party in this State without first having obtained written approval therefor, or a charter for that organization, from the central or executive committee of that political party the name of which is being used or incorporated in the title of that organization for the county in which the money is being solicited.
2. This section does not require any person or organization to obtain a charter or written approval if that person or organization is:
(a) Publicly organized for the sole and limited purpose of supporting the candidacy of a particular candidate in a single election.
(b) Chartered by a national political party or organization.
(c) Chartered by a state central committee in Nevada.
3. Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.
4. As used in this section, “contribution” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 294A.007.
1. Definition for Contribution
1. “Contribution” means a gift, loan, conveyance, deposit, payment, transfer or distribution of money or of anything of value other than the services of a volunteer, and includes:
(a) The payment by any person, other than a candidate, of compensation for the personal services of another person which are rendered to a:
(2) Person who makes an independent expenditure; or
(3) Committee for political action, political party or committee sponsored by a political party which makes an expenditure for or against a candidate or group of candidates, without charge to the candidate, person, committee or political party.
(b) The value of services provided in kind for which money would have otherwise been paid, such as paid polling and resulting data, paid direct mail, paid solicitation by telephone, any paid paraphernalia that was printed or otherwise produced to promote a campaign and the use of paid personnel to assist in a campaign.
2. As used in this section, “volunteer” means a person who does not receive compensation of any kind, directly or indirectly, for the services provided to a campaign.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.007.
2. Definition for Political Party
Any minor or major political party.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.073.
3. Definition for Central committee
The county or the state authority of a major political party.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.033.
4. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
5. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
6. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.