N.R.S. 293.504 - Voter registration agencies: Creation; duties; duty of Secretary of State to cooperate with Secretary of Defense to allow persons to register at military recruitment offices
Overview of Statute
This section provides for the creation and duties of voter registration agencies.
1. The following offices shall serve as voter registration agencies:
(a) Such offices that provide public assistance as are designated by the Secretary of State;
(b) Each office that receives money from the State of Nevada to provide services to persons with disabilities in this State;
(c) The offices of the Department of Motor Vehicles;
(d) The offices of the city and county clerks;
(f) Recruitment offices of the United States Armed Forces; and
(g) Such other offices as the Secretary of State deems appropriate.
2. Each voter registration agency shall:
(a) Post in a conspicuous place, in at least 12-point type, instructions for preregistering and registering to vote;
(b) Except as otherwise provided in subsection 3, distribute applications to preregister or register to vote which may be returned by mail with any application for services or assistance from the agency or submitted for any other purpose and with each application for recertification, renewal or change of address submitted to the agency that relates to such services, assistance or other purpose;
(c) Provide the same amount of assistance to an applicant in completing an application to preregister or register to vote as the agency provides to a person completing any other forms for the agency; and
(d) Accept completed applications to preregister or register to vote.
3. A voter registration agency is not required to provide an application to preregister or register to vote pursuant to paragraph (b) of subsection 2 to a person who applies for or receives services or assistance from the agency or submits an application for any other purpose if the person affirmatively declines to preregister or register to vote and submits to the agency a written form that meets the requirements of 52 U.S.C. § 20506(a)(6). Information related to the declination to preregister or register to vote may not be used for any purpose other than voter registration.
4. Except as otherwise provided in this subsection and NRS 293.524, any application to preregister or register to vote accepted by a voter registration agency must be transmitted to the county clerk not later than 10 days after the application is accepted. The applications must be forwarded daily during the 2 weeks immediately preceding the last day to register to vote by mail pursuant to NRS 293.560 or 293C.527, as applicable. The county clerk shall accept any application which is obtained from a voter registration agency pursuant to this section and completed by the last day to register to vote by mail pursuant to NRS 293.560 or 293C.527, as applicable, if the county clerk receives the application not later than 5 days after that date.
5. The Secretary of State shall cooperate with the Secretary of Defense to develop and carry out procedures to enable persons in this State to apply to preregister or register to vote at recruitment offices of the United States Armed Forces.
1. Definition for County clerk
2. Definition for Mail
The depositing of printed or written matter in a mailbox or post office for delivery by the United States Postal Service.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.065.
3. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
4. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
5. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
Regulations & Guidance
Notes from "State of Nevada Elections 2015," published on January 1, 2016, by Barbara K. Cegavske, Nevada Secretary of State
Ch. 608, Stats. 1995, the source of the amendatory provisions which replace the references in chapters 293, 318 and 474 of NRS to "affidavits of registration" with references to "applications to register to vote," contains the following provisions not included in NRS: "The legislature hereby declares that the purpose of this act is to conform the procedures for registering to vote in this State with the procedures set forth in the National Voter Registration Act, Public Law No. 103-31, for federal elections and to cause all future amendments to conform to that Act and all related subsequent federal laws."