N.R.S. 298.045 - Nominees and alternates for presidential elector required to sign pledge
Overview of Statute
This section requires nominees and alternates for presidential elector to sign a pledge.
1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, a nominee for presidential elector or an alternate may not serve as a presidential elector unless the nominee for presidential elector or the alternate signs a pledge in substantially the following form:
If selected for the position of presidential elector, I agree to serve as such and to vote only for the nominees for President and Vice President of the political party or the independent candidates who received the highest number of votes in this State at the general election.
2. If a nominee for presidential elector or an alternate is physically unable to sign the pledge, the pledge may be signed by proxy in the presence of the nominee for presidential elector or the alternate, as applicable.
3. The chair and secretary of the convention of a major political party, the person who is authorized to file the list of candidates for partisan office of a minor political party with the Secretary of State pursuant to NRS 293.1725 or an independent candidate shall submit to the Secretary of State each pledge signed pursuant to this section with the list of nominees for presidential elector and alternates.
(Added to NRS by 2013, 1231)
1. Definition for Political Party
Any minor or major political party.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.073.
2. Definition for General election
The election held pursuant to NRS 293.12755.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.060.
3. Definition for Independent candidate
A candidate who has been nominated for a partisan office but who is registered with no political party affiliation pursuant to the provisions of this title.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.063.
4. Definition for Major political party
Any organization which qualifies as such pursuant to NRS 293.128.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.0655.
5. Definition for Minor political party
Any organization which is organized as such pursuant to NRS 293.171.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.066.
6. Definition for Nominee for presidential elector
A person selected pursuant to NRS 298.035 to be a nominee to the position of presidential elector by a major political party, a minor political party or an independent candidate nominated for the office of President pursuant to NRS 298.109.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 298.028.
7. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
8. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
9. Definition for Elector
A person who is eligible to vote under the provisions of Section 1 of Article 2 of the Constitution of the State of Nevada.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.055.
10. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.
11. Definition for Alternate
A person selected pursuant to NRS 298.035 to be an alternate to a nominee for presidential elector.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 298.023.