N.R.S. 293C.305 – Absent ballots: Preparation; reasonable accommodations for use by persons who are elderly or disabled; time for distribution; ineffectiveness of legal actions to prevent issuance
Overview of Statute
This section requires that the city clerk prepare an absent ballot for registered voters who have requested one, and fit the descriptions provided by the statute.
1. The city clerk shall prepare an absent ballot for the use of registered voters who have requested absent ballots. The city clerk shall make reasonable accommodations for the use of the absent ballot by a person who is elderly or disabled, including, without limitation, by providing, upon request, the absent ballot in 12-point type to a person who is elderly or disabled.
2. The ballot must be prepared and ready for distribution to a registered voter who:
(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b), resides within or outside this State, not later than 20 days before the election in which it will be used.
(b) Requested an absent ballot pursuant to the provisions of the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, 52 U.S.C. §§ 20301 et seq., not later than 45 days before the election.
3. Any legal action that would prevent the ballot from being issued pursuant to subsection 2 is moot and of no effect.
(Added to NRS by 1997, 3430; A 1999, 2165; 2001, 1437; 2011, 3072; 2017, 3339)
1. Definition for Absent ballot
A ballot voted by a person who expects to be or is absent from the polling place for his or her precinct or district on election day.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.013.
2. Definition for Registered voter
An elector who has completed the procedure prescribed by law for registration as a voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.090.
3. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
4. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
5. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
6. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.