N.R.S. 293.209 - Creation or change of election district during certain period in year of general or general city election prohibited; annexation not prohibited during year of election
Overview of Statute
This section prohibits the creation or change of an election district during a certain period in the year of a general or general city election.
1. A political subdivision of this State shall not create, divide, change the boundaries of, abolish or consolidate an election district after the first day of filing by candidates for nonjudicial office during any year in which a general election or general city election is held for that election district.
2. This section does not prohibit a political subdivision from annexing territory in a year in which a general election or general city election is held for that election district.
(Added to NRS by 1993, 2168; A 1995, 2775; 1997, 757; 2019, c.546.)
1. Definition for General election
The election held pursuant to NRS 293.12755.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.060.
2. Definition for General city election
An election held pursuant to NRS 293C.115, 293C.140 or 293C.145. The term includes a general municipal election held pursuant to the provisions of a special charter of an incorporated city.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.059.
3. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
4. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.