N.R.S. 293.175 - Date of primary election; nomination of candidates; applicability of provisions governing nominations
Overview of Statute
This section establishes the date of the primary election and the nomination of candidates.
1. The primary election must be held on the second Tuesday in June of each even-numbered year.
2. Candidates for partisan office of a major political party and candidates for nonpartisan office must be nominated at the primary election.
3. Candidates for partisan office of a minor political party must be nominated in the manner prescribed pursuant to NRS 293.171 to 293.174, inclusive.
4. Independent candidates for partisan office must be nominated in the manner provided in NRS 293.200.
5. The provisions of NRS 293.175 to 293.203, inclusive:
(a) Apply to a special election to fill a vacancy, except to the extent that compliance with the provisions is not possible because of the time at which the vacancy occurred.
(b) Do not apply to the nomination of the officers of incorporated cities.
(c) Do not apply to the nomination of district officers whose nomination is otherwise provided for by statute.
(Added to NRS by 1960, 243; A 1963, 1387; 1983, 1116; 1985, 268; 1987, 1366; 1989, 226; 1999, 1392, 3550; 2001, 672; 2005, 1434; 2009, 1262; 2013, 1777, 2372)
1. Definition for Political Party
Any minor or major political party.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.073.
2. Definition for Primary election
The election held pursuant to NRS 293.175.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.080.
3. Definition for Nonpartisan office
An elected office for which a political party may not nominate a candidate.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.0675.
4. Definition for Major political party
Any organization which qualifies as such pursuant to NRS 293.128.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.0655.
5. Definition for Minor political party
Any organization which is organized as such pursuant to NRS 293.171.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.066.
6. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.