N.R.S. 293.12755 - Date
Overview of Statute
This section establishes the date of the general elections.
A general election must be held throughout the State on the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November in each even-numbered year.
(Added to NRS by 1987, 334)
1. Definition for General election
The election held pursuant to NRS 293.12755.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.060.
2. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
Case Name: Child v. Lomax
Citation: 124 Nev. 600, 188 P.3d 1103
- A newly elected State Legislator begins serving in office on the day after the general election, and his or her predecessor is no longer a member of the Legislature after that date.
- A newly elected State Legislator's term of office is not linked to the canvass of the votes, and he or she becomes a member of the Legislature on the day after the general election even if a special session is called on that day.
- A writ of mandamus was an available remedy in a pre-election challenge to the qualifications of a state legislative candidate under the term-limits amendment to the Nevada Constitution.
- The authority to judge the qualifications, elections and returns of newly elected State Legislators is vested in reach House of the Legislature and is not dependent upon the canvass of the votes.
- The term-limits amendment to the Nevada Constitution did not bar a state legislative candidate from being re-elected where a prior term of office commenced before the amendment's effective date.
Case Name: Grant v. Payne
Citation: 60 Nev. 250, 107 P.2d 307
Case Summary: Purpose of general election. Under NCL § 2438 (cf. NRS 293.12755), general election is held biennially, but it is general only for purpose of electing officers designated by law to be elected at particular biennial election.
State Constitutional Provisions
Constitutional mandate regarding date of election, Const. Art. 15 § 5.
NRS Cross References
City elections: NRS 293C.115, 293C.140, 293C.145