N.R.S. 294A.3733 - Candidate not required to file reports electronically in certain circumstances
Overview of Statute
This section provides certain circumstances where candidates are not required to file reports electronically.
1. A candidate who is required to file a report pursuant to this chapter is not required to file the report electronically if the candidate:
(a) Did not receive or expend money in excess of $10,000 after becoming a candidate pursuant to NRS 294A.005; and
(b) Has on file with the Secretary of State an affidavit which satisfies the requirements set forth in subsection 2 and which states that:
(1) The candidate does not own or have the ability to access the technology necessary to file electronically the report; and
(2) The candidate does not have the financial ability to purchase or obtain access to the technology necessary to file electronically the report.
2. The affidavit described in subsection 1 must be:
(a) In the form prescribed by the Secretary of State and signed under an oath to God or penalty of perjury. A candidate who signs the affidavit under an oath to God is subject to the same penalties as if the candidate had signed the affidavit under penalty of perjury.
(b) Filed not later than 15 days before the candidate is required to file a report pursuant to this chapter.
3. A candidate who is not required to file the report electronically may file the report by transmitting the report by regular mail, certified mail, facsimile machine or personal delivery. A report transmitted pursuant to this subsection shall be deemed to be filed on the date on which it is received by the Secretary of State.
(Added to NRS by 2011, 1698; A 2013, 1362, 2410)
1. Definition for Facsimile machine
A device that sends or receives a reproduction or facsimile of a document or photograph which is transmitted electronically or telephonically by telecommunications lines.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.056.
2. Definition for Mail
The depositing of printed or written matter in a mailbox or post office for delivery by the United States Postal Service.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.065.
3. Definition for Oath
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.068.
4. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
5. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
6. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.