N.R.S. 294A.128 - Candidate required to report loan guaranteed by third party, forgiveness of loan or written commitment for contribution; procedure for reporting; contents of report
Overview of Statute
This section requires the candidate to report loans guaranteed by third parties.
1. In addition to complying with the requirements set forth in NRS 294A.120 and 294A.200, a candidate who receives a loan which is guaranteed by a third party, forgiveness of a loan previously made to the candidate or a written commitment for a contribution shall, for the period covered by the report filed pursuant to NRS 294A.120 or 294A.200, report:
(a) If a loan received by the candidate was guaranteed by a third party, the amount of the loan and the name and address of each person who guaranteed the loan;
(b) If a loan received by the candidate was forgiven by the person who made the loan, the amount that was forgiven and the name and address of the person who forgave the loan; and
(c) If the candidate received a written commitment for a contribution, the amount committed to be contributed and the name and address of the person who made the written commitment.
2. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 294A.3733, the reports required by subsection 1 must be filed in the same manner and at the same time as the report filed pursuant to NRS 294A.120 or 294A.200.
(Added to NRS by 2005, 2294; A 2011, 1702; 2013, 1336, 2385)
1. Definition for Contribution
1. “Contribution” means a gift, loan, conveyance, deposit, payment, transfer or distribution of money or of anything of value other than the services of a volunteer, and includes:
(a) The payment by any person, other than a candidate, of compensation for the personal services of another person which are rendered to a:
(2) Person who makes an independent expenditure; or
(3) Committee for political action, political party or committee sponsored by a political party which makes an expenditure for or against a candidate or group of candidates, without charge to the candidate, person, committee or political party.
(b) The value of services provided in kind for which money would have otherwise been paid, such as paid polling and resulting data, paid direct mail, paid solicitation by telephone, any paid paraphernalia that was printed or otherwise produced to promote a campaign and the use of paid personnel to assist in a campaign.
2. As used in this section, “volunteer” means a person who does not receive compensation of any kind, directly or indirectly, for the services provided to a campaign.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.007.
2. Definition for Loan
A transfer of money, property or anything of value in exchange for an obligation to repay the transfer of money in whole or in part.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.008.
3. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
4. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.