N.R.S. 294A.112 - Making or assisting in making contribution in name of another person prohibited; accepting contribution made by person in name of another person prohibited; making contribution to committee for political action with knowledge and intent to circumvent contribution limit prohibited
Overview of Statute
This section prohibits making or receiving contributions on behalf of others.
1. A person shall not:
(a) Make a contribution in the name of another person;
(b) Knowingly allow his or her name to be used to cause a contribution to be made in the name of another person or assist in the making of a contribution in the name of another person;
(c) Knowingly assist a person to make a contribution in the name of another person;
(d) Knowingly accept a contribution made by a person in the name of another person; or
(e) Make a contribution to a committee for political action with the knowledge and intent that the committee for political action will contribute that money to a specific candidate which, in combination with the total contributions already made by the person for the same election, would violate the limitations on contributions set forth in this chapter.
2. As used in this section, “make a contribution in the name of another person” includes, without limitation:
(a) Giving money or an item of value, all or part of which was provided or reimbursed to the contributor by another person, without disclosing the source of the money or item of value to the recipient at the time the contribution is made; and
(b) Giving money or an item of value, all or part of which belongs to the person who is giving the money or item of value, and claiming that the money or item of value belongs to another person.
1. Definition for Contribution
1. “Contribution” means a gift, loan, conveyance, deposit, payment, transfer or distribution of money or of anything of value other than the services of a volunteer, and includes:
(a) The payment by any person, other than a candidate, of compensation for the personal services of another person which are rendered to a:
(2) Person who makes an independent expenditure; or
(3) Committee for political action, political party or committee sponsored by a political party which makes an expenditure for or against a candidate or group of candidates, without charge to the candidate, person, committee or political party.
(b) The value of services provided in kind for which money would have otherwise been paid, such as paid polling and resulting data, paid direct mail, paid solicitation by telephone, any paid paraphernalia that was printed or otherwise produced to promote a campaign and the use of paid personnel to assist in a campaign.
2. As used in this section, “volunteer” means a person who does not receive compensation of any kind, directly or indirectly, for the services provided to a campaign.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.007.
2. Definition for Committee for political action
1. “Committee for political action” means:
(a) Any group of natural persons or entities that solicits or receives contributions from any other person, group or entity and:
(1) Makes or intends to make contributions to candidates or other persons; or
(2) Makes or intends to make expenditures,
Ê designed to affect the outcome of any primary election, general election, special election or question on the ballot.
(b) Any business or social organization, corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization or labor union:
(1) Which has as its primary purpose affecting the outcome of any primary election, general election, special election or any question on the ballot and for that purpose receives contributions in excess of $1,500 in a calendar year or makes expenditures in excess of $1,500 in a calendar year; or
(2) Which does not have as its primary purpose affecting the outcome of any primary election, general election, special election or any question on the ballot, but for the purpose of affecting the outcome of any election or question on the ballot receives contributions in excess of $5,000 in a calendar year or makes independent expenditures in excess of $5,000 in a calendar year.
2. “Committee for political action” does not include:
(a) An organization made up of legislative members of a political party whose primary purpose is to provide support for their political efforts.
(b) An entity solely because it provides goods or services to a candidate or committee in the regular course of its business at the same price that would be provided to the general public.
(c) An individual natural person.
(d) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of subsection 1, an individual corporation or other business organization who has filed articles of incorporation or other documentation of organization with the Secretary of State pursuant to title 7 of NRS.
(e) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of subsection 1, a labor union.
(f) A personal campaign committee or the personal representative of a candidate who receives contributions or makes expenditures that are reported as contributions or expenditures by the candidate.
(g) A committee for the recall of a public officer.
(h) A major or minor political party or any committee sponsored by a major or minor political party.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.0055.
3. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
4. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.