N.R.S. 294A.0077 - “Independent expenditure” defined
Overview of Statute
This section defines “independent expenditure.”
“Independent expenditure” means an expenditure which is made by a person who is not under the direction or control of a candidate for office, of a group of such candidates or of any person involved in the campaign of a candidate or group and which is made for or against a candidate or group and is not solicited or approved by a candidate or group.
(Added to NRS by 2013, 2379)
1. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
2. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.