N.R.S. 294A.007 - “Contribution” defined
Overview of Statute
This section defines “contribution.”
1. “Contribution” means a gift, loan, conveyance, deposit, payment, transfer or distribution of money or of anything of value other than the services of a volunteer, and includes:
(a) The payment by any person, other than a candidate, of compensation for the personal services of another person which are rendered to a:
(2) Person who makes an independent expenditure; or
(3) Committee for political action, political party or committee sponsored by a political party which makes an expenditure for or against a candidate or group of candidates,
Ê without charge to the candidate, person, committee or political party.
(b) The value of services provided in kind for which money would have otherwise been paid, such as paid polling and resulting data, paid direct mail, paid solicitation by telephone, any paid paraphernalia that was printed or otherwise produced to promote a campaign and the use of paid personnel to assist in a campaign.
2. As used in this section, “volunteer” means a person who does not receive compensation of any kind, directly or indirectly, for the services provided to a campaign.
1. Definition for Political Party
Any minor or major political party.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.073.
2. Definition for Independent expenditure
An expenditure which is made by a person who is not under the direction or control of a candidate for office, of a group of such candidates or of any person involved in the campaign of a candidate or group and which is made for or against a candidate or group and is not solicited or approved by a candidate or group.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.0077.
3. Definition for Mail
The depositing of printed or written matter in a mailbox or post office for delivery by the United States Postal Service.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.065.
4. Definition for Loan
A transfer of money, property or anything of value in exchange for an obligation to repay the transfer of money in whole or in part.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.008.
5. Definition for Committee sponsored by a political party
Any committee, group or organization that is officially affiliated with a political party and:
1. Makes or intends to make contributions to candidates or other persons; or
2. Makes or intends to make expenditures.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.0065.
6. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
7. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.
Case Name: Americans for Med. Rights v. Heller
Citation: 2 F. Supp. 2d 1307
Federal District Court: District of Nevada
- A "contribution" includes an expenditure of money by a group to support the passage of a ballot question.