N.R.S. 293.675 - Establishment and maintenance of list; requirements pertaining to list; duties of county and city clerks; cooperative agreement with Department of Motor Vehicles; verification of information in conjunction with Social Security Administration; agreements with state agencies to obtain information necessary for list; information may be requested from or provided to chief election officers of other states
Overview of Statute
This section provides for the establishment and maintenance of a statewide list of voters.
1. The Secretary of State shall establish and maintain an official statewide voter registration list, which may be maintained on the Internet, in consultation with each county and city clerk.
2. The statewide voter registration list must:
(a) Be a uniform, centralized and interactive computerized list;
(b) Serve as the single method for storing and managing the official list of registered voters in this State;
(c) Serve as the official list of registered voters for the conduct of all elections in this State;
(d) Contain the name and registration information of every legally registered voter in this State;
(e) Include a unique identifier assigned by the Secretary of State to each legally registered voter in this State;
(f) Except as otherwise provided in subsection 7, be coordinated with the appropriate databases of other agencies in this State;
(g) Be electronically accessible to each state and local election official in this State at all times;
(h) Except as otherwise provided in subsection 8, allow for data to be shared with other states under certain circumstances; and
(i) Be regularly maintained to ensure the integrity of the registration process and the election process.
3. Each county and city clerk shall:
(a) Except for information related to the preregistration of persons to vote, electronically enter into the statewide voter registration list all information related to voter registration obtained by the county or city clerk at the time the information is provided to the county or city clerk; and
(b) Provide the Secretary of State with information concerning the voter registration of the county or city and other reasonable information requested by the Secretary of State in the form required by the Secretary of State to establish or maintain the statewide voter registration list.
4. In establishing and maintaining the statewide voter registration list, the Secretary of State shall enter into a cooperative agreement with the Department of Motor Vehicles to match information in the database of the statewide voter registration list with information in the appropriate database of the Department of Motor Vehicles to verify the accuracy of the information in an application to register to vote.
5. The Department of Motor Vehicles shall enter into an agreement with the Social Security Administration pursuant to 52 U.S.C. § 21083, to verify the accuracy of information in an application to register to vote.
6. The Department of Motor Vehicles shall ensure that its database:
(a) Is capable of processing any information related to an application to register to vote, an application to update voter registration information or a request to verify the accuracy of voter registration information as quickly as is feasible; and
(b) Does not limit the number of applications to register to vote, applications to update voter registration information or requests to verify the accuracy of voter registration information that may be processed by the database in any given day.
7. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 481.063 or any provision of law providing for the confidentiality of information, the Secretary of State may enter into an agreement with an agency of this State pursuant to which the agency provides to the Secretary of State any information in the possession of the agency that the Secretary of State deems necessary to maintain the statewide voter registration list.
8. The Secretary of State may:
(a) Request from the chief officer of elections of another state any information which the Secretary of State deems necessary to maintain the statewide voter registration list; and
(b) Provide to the chief officer of elections of another state any information which is requested and which the Secretary of State deems necessary for the chief officer of elections of that state to maintain a voter registration list, if the Secretary of State is satisfied that the information provided pursuant to this paragraph will be used only for the maintenance of that voter registration list.
1. Definition for Registered voter
An elector who has completed the procedure prescribed by law for registration as a voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.090.
2. Definition for Statewide voter registration list
The list of registered voters established and maintained pursuant to NRS 293.675.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.111.
3. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
4. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
5. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
Notes from "State of Nevada Elections 2015," published on January 1, 2016, by Barbara K. Cegavske, Nevada Secretary of State.
Ch. 382, Stats. 2003, the source of this section, contains the following provision not included in NRS: "The provisions of chapter 333 of NRS do not apply to a contract awarded before January 1, 2005, by the Secretary of State: 1.) To establish and maintain the statewide voter registration list created pursuant to section 3 of this act [NRS 293.675]; or 2.) To upgrade or replace voting systems throughout this State."