1-8.3-105. Effect of “Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act” – emergency authority of secretary of state
(1) In the event of any conflict between this article and any provisions of the federal “Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act”, 42 U.S.C. sec. 1973ff et seq., the provisions of the federal act shall control, and all designated election officials who are charged with the performance of duties under this code shall perform the duties and discharge the obligations placed upon them by the federal act.
(2) If a national or local emergency arises that makes substantial compliance with the provisions of this article impossible or unreasonable, such as when congress has declared a national emergency or the president has ordered into active military service of the United States any units and members of the National Guard of this state, the secretary of state may prescribe, by emergency orders or rules, such special procedures or requirements as may be necessary to facilitate absentee voting by those members of the military or military support personnel directly affected by the emergency.
Source: L. 2011: Entire article added, (HB 11-1219), ch. 176, p. 667, § 1, effective May 13.
- Mail-In & Absentee Voting
- Military & Overseas Voting
1. Definition for United States
Used in the territorial sense, means the several states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, and any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. C.R.S. § 1-8.3-102.
2. Definition for Designated election official
The secretary of state, a county clerk and recorder, or other election official as provided by article XXI of the state constitution. C.R.S. § 1-12-100.5.
3. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. C.R.S. § 1-8.3-102.
4. Definition for Person
Any natural person, partnership, committee, association, corporation, labor organization, political party, or other organization or group of persons. Section 2(11) of article XXVIII of the state constitution.
5. Definition for Section
A bound compilation of initiative forms approved by the secretary of state, which shall include pages that contain the warning required by section 1-40-110 (1), the ballot title, the abstract required by section 1-40-110 (3), and a copy of the proposed measure; succeeding pages that contain the warning, the ballot title, and ruled lines numbered consecutively for registered electors’ signatures; and a final page that contains the affidavit required by section 1-40-111 (2). Each section shall be consecutively prenumbered by the petitioner prior to circulation.
6. Definition for Election
Any election under the “Uniform Election Code of 1992” or the “Colorado Municipal Election Code of 1965”, article 10 of title 31, C.R.S. C.R.S. § 1-7.5-103.
7. Definition for Secretary
The Colorado secretary of state. C.R.S. § 1-1.5-102.