N.R.S. 306.110 - Nominating petition for successors; verification of signatures; acceptance of candidacy
Overview of Statute
This section provides for nominating petitions for successors.
1. A petition to nominate other candidates for the office must be signed by registered voters of the State, or of the county, district or municipality holding the election, equal in number to 25 percent of the number of registered voters who voted in the State, or in the county, district or municipality holding the election, at the general election at which the public officer was elected. Each petition may consist of more than one document. Each document must bear the name of one county and must not be signed by a person who is not a registered voter of that county.
2. The nominating petition must be filed, at least 20 days before the date of the special election, with the filing officer with whom the recall petition is filed. Each document of the petition must be submitted for verification pursuant to NRS 293.1276 to 293.1279, inclusive, to the county clerk of the county named on the document.
3. A candidate who is nominated for office pursuant to this section must file a declaration of candidacy with the appropriate filing officer and pay the filing fee required by NRS 293.193 or by the governing body of a city at least 20 days before the date of the special election.
1. Definition for County clerk
2. Definition for Filing officer
The Secretary of State, county or city clerk or any other officer authorized by law to receive designations and declarations of candidacy, certificates and acceptances of nomination or any other nomination papers.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.057.
3. Definition for General election
The election held pursuant to NRS 293.12755.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.060.
4. Definition for Registered voter
An elector who has completed the procedure prescribed by law for registration as a voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.090.
5. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
6. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
7. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
8. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.