N.R.S. 304.060 – Definitions.
Overview of Statute
This section provides definitions related to the United States Census.
As used in NRS 304.060 to 304.120, inclusive, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Block” means the smallest geographical unit whose boundaries were designated by the Bureau of the Census of the United States Department of Commerce in its topographically integrated geographic encoding and referencing system.
2. “Block group” means a combination of blocks whose numbers begin with the same digit.
3. “Census tract” means a combination of block groups.
4. “Census voting district” means the voting district:
(a) Based on the geographic and population databases compiled by the Bureau of the Census of the United States Department of Commerce as revised by the State Demographer pursuant to NRS 360.288 and validated and incorporated into the geographic information system by the Legislative Counsel Bureau for use by the Nevada Legislature; and
(b) Designated in the maps filed with the Office of the Secretary of State pursuant to subsection 3 of NRS 304.070.
5. “State Demographer” means the demographer employed by the Department of Taxation pursuant to NRS 360.283.
1. Definition for Voting district
An area formed by the consolidation of two or more contiguous precincts.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.121.
2. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
Appendix: Judicially Approved Congressional Districts Based on 2010 Census
Effective January 1, 2012, for the limited purposes of filing for office and for nominating and electing Representatives in the Congress of the United States and at 9:00 a.m. on January 3, 2013, for all other purposes and effective until the Legislature takes further action regarding apportionment of the Congressional Districts. This Appendix reproduces verbatim the relevant portions of the Order Adopting and Approving Special Masters’ Report and Redistricting Maps as Modified by the Court, Guy v. Miller, Case No. 11 OC 00042 1B (Nev. First Jud. Dist. Ct. Oct. 27, 2011) and Addendum to October 27, 2011 Order Adopting and Approving Special Masters’ Report and Redistricting Maps as Modified by the Court, Guy v. Miller, Case No. 11 OC 00042 1B (Nev. First Jud. Dist. Ct. Dec. 8, 2011).
Order Adopting and Approving Special Masters' Report and Redistricting Maps as Modified by the Court: Order on October 27, 2011 & Relevant Census Tracts (Guy v. Miller)
Addendum to October 27, 2011 Order: Addendum to October 27, 2011 Order (Guy v. Miller)