N.R.S. 298.259 - Voting by new residents; regulations
Overview of Statute
This section provides for voting by new residents in a Presidential election.
1. If a new resident of the State of Nevada otherwise qualified to vote in another state in any election for President and Vice President of the United States has commenced his or her residence in this State after the 30th day next preceding that election and for this reason does not satisfy the requirements for registration in this State, the new resident may vote for President and Vice President in this State.
2. If a new resident of the State of Nevada wishes to vote for the President and Vice President of the United States pursuant to this section, the new resident must:
(a) Apply to the county clerk for the appropriate ballot using the form prescribed by the Secretary of State; and
(b) Vote only in the office of the county clerk during regular office hours.
3. A county clerk, upon receipt of an application pursuant to this section, shall provide the applicant a ballot and any other materials necessary to vote only for President and Vice President of the United States.
4. A vote cast pursuant to this section must not be:
(a) Combined with the total of a precinct but must be segregated at the precinct and then combined with the totals for the county.
(b) Included in precinct, district, county or state totals for other electoral purposes.
5. The Secretary of State may, in a manner consistent with the election laws of this State, adopt regulations to effectuate the purposes of this section.
(Added to NRS by 2001, 1954)
1. Definition for County clerk
2. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
3. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
4. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
5. Definition for Elector
A person who is eligible to vote under the provisions of Section 1 of Article 2 of the Constitution of the State of Nevada.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.055.
6. Definition for Precinct
The smallest voting area in a political subdivision.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.077.