N.R.S. 298.250 - Voting by former residents; regulations
Overview of Statute
This section provides for voting by former residents in the Presidential election under certain circumstances.
1. If a former resident of the State of Nevada otherwise qualified to vote in another state in any election for President and Vice President of the United States has commenced his or her residence in the other state after the 30th day next preceding that election and for this reason does not satisfy the requirements for registration in the other state, the former resident may vote for President and Vice President only in that election:
(a) In person in the county of the State of Nevada which was his or her former residence, if the former resident is otherwise qualified to vote there; or
(b) By absent ballot in the county of the State of Nevada which was his or her former residence, if the former resident is otherwise qualified to vote there and complies with the applicable requirements of NRS 293.310 to 293.340, inclusive.
2. The Secretary of State may, in a manner consistent with the election laws of this State, adopt regulations to effectuate the purposes of this section.
1. Definition for Absent ballot
A ballot voted by a person who expects to be or is absent from the polling place for his or her precinct or district on election day.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.013.
2. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
3. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
4. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.