N.R.S. 294A.382 - Secretary of State prohibited from requesting or requiring listing of certain small expenditures or campaign expenses
Overview of Statute
This section prohibits the Secretary of State from requesting or requiring listing of certain small expenditures or campaign expenses.
The Secretary of State shall not request or require a candidate, person, committee or political party to list each of the expenditures or campaign expenses of $100 or less on a form designed and made available pursuant to NRS 294A.373.
(Added to NRS by 2003, 1726; A 2003, 20th Special Session, 262; 2007, 979; 2011, 1723, 2121, 3305)
1. Definition for Expenditures
1. Money paid for advertising or communication on television, radio, billboards or posters, in newspapers or other periodicals or by mail; and
2. All other money paid, to advocate expressly the election or defeat of a clearly identified candidate or group of candidates or the passage or defeat of a clearly identified question or group of questions on the ballot, including any payments made to a candidate or any person who is related to the candidate within the second degree of consanguinity or affinity.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.0075.
2. Definition for Political Party
Any minor or major political party.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.073.
3. Definition for Campaign expenses
1. All expenses incurred by a candidate for a campaign, including, without limitation:
(a) Office expenses;
(b) Expenses related to volunteers;
(c) Expenses related to travel;
(d) Expenses related to advertising;
(e) Expenses related to paid staff;
(f) Expenses related to consultants;
(g) Expenses related to polling;
(h) Expenses related to special events;
(i) Expenses related to a legal defense fund;
(j) Contributions made to another candidate, a nonprofit corporation that is registered or required to be registered pursuant to NRS 294A.225, a committee for political action that is registered or required to be registered pursuant to NRS 294A.230 or a committee for the recall of a public officer that is registered or required to be registered pursuant to NRS 294A.250;
(k) Fees for filing declarations of candidacy or acceptances of candidacy; and
(l) Repayment or forgiveness of a loan.
2. Expenditures, as defined in NRS 294A.0075.
3. The disposal of any unspent contributions pursuant to NRS 294A.160.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.0035.
4. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
5. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
6. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.