N.R.S. 294A.290 - Code of Fair Campaign Practices
Overview of Statute
This section provides a code fair campaign practices.
1. The filing officer shall give to each candidate who files a declaration of candidacy or acceptance of candidacy a copy of the form set forth in subsection 2. The filing officer shall inform the candidate that subscription to the Code is voluntary.
2. The Code must be in the following form:
CODE OF FAIR CAMPAIGN PRACTICES
There are basic principles of decency, honesty and fair play which every candidate for public office in the State of Nevada has a moral obligation to observe and uphold, in order that, after vigorously contested but fairly conducted campaigns, the voters may exercise their constitutional right to vote for the candidate of their choice and that the will of the people may be fully and clearly expressed on the issues.
1. I will conduct my campaign openly and publicly and limit attacks against my opponent to legitimate challenges to my opponent’s voting record or qualifications for office.
2. I will not use character defamation or other false attacks on a candidate’s personal or family life.
3. I will not use campaign material which misrepresents, distorts or otherwise falsifies the facts, nor will I use malicious or unfounded accusations which are intended to create or exploit doubts, without justification, about the personal integrity of my opposition.
4. I will not condone any dishonest or unethical practice which undermines the American system of free elections or impedes or prevents the full and free expression of the will of the voters.
I, the undersigned, as a candidate for election to public office in the State of Nevada, hereby voluntarily pledge myself to conduct my campaign in accordance with the principles and practices set forth in this Code.
Date Signature of Candidate
3. A candidate who subscribes to the Code and submits the form set forth in subsection 2 to the filing officer may indicate on the candidate’s campaign materials that he or she subscribes to the Code.
4. The Secretary of State shall provide a sufficient number of copies of the form to the county clerks, registrar of voters and other filing officers.
1. Definition for County clerk
2. Definition for Filing officer
The Secretary of State, county or city clerk or any other officer authorized by law to receive designations and declarations of candidacy, certificates and acceptances of nomination or any other nomination papers.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.057.
3. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
4. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
5. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
6. Definition for Contest
An adversary proceeding between a candidate for a public office who has received the greatest number of votes and any other candidate for that office or, in certain cases, any registered voter of the appropriate political subdivision, for the purpose of determining the validity of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.042.
7. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.