N.R.S. 293D.510 - Electronic-mail address of covered voter: Request by local elections official; confidentiality; use; standing request for electronic delivery of military-overseas ballot for certain period
Overview of Statute
This section provides for the electronic-mail address of covered voters.
1. The local elections official shall request an electronic-mail address from each covered voter who registers to vote. An electronic-mail address provided by a covered voter is confidential and is not a public book or record within the meaning of NRS 239.010. A local elections official may not release a covered voter’s electronic-mail address to a third party. A local elections official may use the address only to communicate with the covered voter about the voting process, including transmitting military-overseas ballots and election materials if the covered voter has requested electronic transmission, and verifying the covered voter’s mailing address and physical location, as needed. A request for an electronic-mail address under this subsection must describe the purpose for which the electronic-mail address will be used and state that any other use or disclosure is prohibited.
2. A covered voter who provides an electronic-mail address may request that his or her application for a military-overseas ballot be considered a standing request for electronic delivery of a ballot for all elections held through December 31 of the year following the calendar year of the date of the application or another shorter period the covered voter specifies. The local elections official shall provide a military-overseas ballot to a covered voter who makes a request for each election to which the request is applicable. A covered voter who is entitled to receive a military-overseas ballot for a primary election under this subsection is also entitled to receive a military-overseas ballot for the general election.
(Added to NRS by 2011, 1921)
1. Definition for Covered voter
1. A uniformed-service voter;
2. An overseas voter; or
3. A spouse or dependent of a uniformed-service voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.030.
2. Definition for General election
The election held pursuant to NRS 293.12755.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.060.
3. Definition for Primary election
The election held pursuant to NRS 293.175.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.080.
4. Definition for Local elections official
A city clerk, county clerk or registrar of voters, as applicable.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.040.
5. Definition for Military-overseas ballot
1. A federal write-in absentee ballot described in section 103 of the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, 52 U.S.C. § 20303;
2. A ballot specifically prepared or distributed for use by a covered voter in accordance with this chapter; or
3. Any other ballot cast by a covered voter in accordance with this chapter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.050.
6. Definition for Mail
The depositing of printed or written matter in a mailbox or post office for delivery by the United States Postal Service.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.065.
7. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
8. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.