N.R.S. 293D.200 - Duties of Secretary of State and local elections official
Overview of Statute
This section provides for the duties of the Secretary of State and local election officials.
1. The Secretary of State shall make available to covered voters information regarding voter registration procedures for covered voters and procedures for casting military-overseas ballots.
2. The Secretary of State shall establish a system of approved electronic transmission through which covered voters may apply for, receive and send documents and other information pursuant to this chapter. The system of approved electronic transmission must include, without limitation, a method by which a covered voter may provide his or her digital signature or electronic signature on any document or other material that is necessary for the covered voter to register to vote, apply for a military-overseas ballot or cast a military-overseas ballot pursuant to this chapter.
3. The Secretary of State shall develop standardized absentee-voting materials, including, without limitation, privacy and transmission envelopes and their electronic equivalents, authentication materials and voting instructions, to be used with the military-overseas ballot of a covered voter authorized to vote in any jurisdiction in this State and, to the extent reasonably possible, shall do so in coordination with other states.
4. The Secretary of State shall prescribe the form and content of a declaration for use by a covered voter to swear or affirm specific representations pertaining to the covered voter’s identity, eligibility to vote, status as a covered voter and timely and proper completion of a military-overseas ballot. The declaration must be based on the declaration prescribed to accompany a federal write-in absentee ballot under section 103 of the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, 52 U.S.C. § 20303, as modified to be consistent with this chapter. The Secretary of State shall ensure that a form for the execution of the declaration, including an indication of the date of execution of the declaration, is a prominent part of all balloting materials for which the declaration is required.
5. The Secretary of State shall prescribe by regulation the duties of a local elections official upon receipt of a military-overseas ballot, including, without limitation, the procedures to be used by a local elections official in accepting, handling and counting a military-overseas ballot.
6. The Secretary of State shall prescribe the form and content of an application for a United States citizen who is outside the United States to preregister to vote if:
(a) The person would have been able to preregister to vote pursuant to NRS 293.4855 except for the residency requirement; and
(b) The last place where a parent or legal guardian of the person was, or under this chapter would have been, eligible to vote before leaving the United States is within this State.
1. Definition for Covered voter
1. A uniformed-service voter;
2. An overseas voter; or
3. A spouse or dependent of a uniformed-service voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.030.
2. Definition for Digital signature
An electronic signature that transforms a message by using an asymmetric cryptosystem.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. §§ 293D.033, 720.060.
3. Definition for Electronic signature
An electronic sound, symbol or process attached to or logically associated with a record and executed or adopted by a person with the intent to sign the record.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. §§ 293D.036, 719.100.
4. Definition for Residency requirement
The requirement contained in NRS 293.485 that a person must continuously reside in this State, the county and the precinct for the purposes of qualifying to register to vote in this State.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.070.
5. Definition for Local elections official
A city clerk, county clerk or registrar of voters, as applicable.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.040.
6. Definition for Military-overseas ballot
1. A federal write-in absentee ballot described in section 103 of the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, 52 U.S.C. § 20303;
2. A ballot specifically prepared or distributed for use by a covered voter in accordance with this chapter; or
3. Any other ballot cast by a covered voter in accordance with this chapter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.050.
7. Definition for Approved electronic transmission
The sending of information by facsimile machine or by use of the Internet pursuant to the acceptable standards set forth by regulations of the Secretary of State adopted pursuant to NRS 293.247.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.019.
8. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
9. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
10. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.