N.R.S. 293C.620 – Issuance of ballots; procedure for voting
Overview of Statute
This section requires that a member of the election board issue each voter a ballot, and if a mechanical voting system is used, direct them to a mechanical recording device and provide them with a voting receipt.
1. At each election, a member of the election board for a precinct shall issue each voter a ballot.
2. If a mechanical voting system is used in a primary city election whereby votes are directly recorded electronically, a member of the election board shall, if the clerk uses voting receipts, in addition to the ballot described in subsection 1, issue the voter a voting receipt.
3. The member of the election board shall direct the voter to a mechanical recording device containing a list of offices and candidates.
(Added to NRS by 1997, 3443; A 2007, 1184, 2620)
1. Definition for Election board
The persons appointed by each county or city clerk to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293B.027.
2. Definition for Primary city election
An election held pursuant to NRS 293C.115 or 293C.175. The term includes a primary municipal election held pursuant to the provisions of a special charter of an incorporated city.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.079.
3. Definition for Mechanical voting system
A system of voting whereby a voter may cast a vote:
1. On a device which mechanically or electronically compiles a total of the number of votes cast for each candidate and for or against each measure voted on; or
2. By marking a paper ballot which is subsequently counted on an electronic tabulator, counting device or computer.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.0659.
4. Definition for Mechanical recording device
A device which mechanically or electronically compiles a total of the number of votes cast for each candidate and for or against each measure voted on.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.0657.
5. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
6. Definition for Board
As used in NRS 295.075 to 295.125, inclusive, unless the context otherwise requires, “board” means the board of county commissioners.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 295.075.
7. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
8. Definition for Precinct
The smallest voting area in a political subdivision.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.077.
9. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.