N.R.S. 293C.525 – Transfer of registration when residence changed from one precinct to another within same city or changed within same precinct; oral or written affirmation of elector; right of elector to vote
Overview of Statute
This section governs voters who have changed their residence from one precinct to another within the same city since the last general city election or who have been recorded as having changed their residence.
1. Any elector who is registered to vote and has changed residence after the last preceding general city election and who fails to return or never receives a postcard mailed pursuant to NRS 293.5235, 293.530 or 293.535 who moved:
(a) From one precinct to another within the same city must be allowed to vote in the precinct where the elector previously resided after providing an oral or written affirmation before an election board officer attesting to his or her new address.
(b) Within the same precinct must be allowed to vote after providing an oral or written affirmation before an election board officer attesting to his or her new address.
2. If an elector alleges that the records in the registrar of voters’ register or the roster incorrectly indicate that the elector has changed residence, the elector must be allowed to vote after providing an oral or written affirmation before an election board officer attesting that he or she continues to reside at the same address.
3. If an elector refuses to provide an oral or written affirmation attesting to his or her address as required by this section, the elector may only vote at the special polling place in the city in the manner set forth in NRS 293C.295.
(Added to NRS by 1997, 3440; A 2015, 3175)
1. Definition for Election board
The persons appointed by each county or city clerk to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293B.027.
2. Definition for General city election
An election held pursuant to NRS 293C.115, 293C.140 or 293C.145. The term includes a general municipal election held pursuant to the provisions of a special charter of an incorporated city.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.059.
3. Definition for Election board officer
A person appointed to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.050.
4. Definition for Mail
The depositing of printed or written matter in a mailbox or post office for delivery by the United States Postal Service.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.065.
5. Definition for Board
As used in NRS 295.075 to 295.125, inclusive, unless the context otherwise requires, “board” means the board of county commissioners.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 295.075.
6. Definition for Roster
The record in printed or electronic form furnished to election board officers which contains a list of eligible voters and is to be used for obtaining the signature of each person applying for a ballot.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.095.
7. Definition for Elector
A person who is eligible to vote under the provisions of Section 1 of Article 2 of the Constitution of the State of Nevada.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.055.
8. Definition for Precinct
The smallest voting area in a political subdivision.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.077.