N.R.S. 293C.3583 – Preparation of mechanical recording devices before polls open each day
Overview of Statute
This section provides procedures for the election board if a mechanical recording device is used to directly record votes in the period for early voting by personal appearance.
If ballots which are voted on a mechanical recording device which directly records the votes electronically are used during the period for early voting by personal appearance, the election board shall, before the polls open on each day during that period:
1. Prepare each mechanical recording device for voting.
2. Ensure that each mechanical recording device will not register any ballots which were previously voted on the mechanical recording device as having been voted on that day.
1. Definition for Election board
The persons appointed by each county or city clerk to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293B.027.
2. Definition for Mechanical recording device
A device which mechanically or electronically compiles a total of the number of votes cast for each candidate and for or against each measure voted on.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.0657.
4. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
5. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.