N.R.S. 293C.327 – Voting absent ballot in person in city clerk’s office
Overview of Statute
This section provides rules and requirements for city clerks administering in-person absent voting.
(a) A request for an absent ballot is made by a registered voter in person; and
(b) The governing body of the city, pursuant to paragraph (b) of subsection 2 of NRS 293C.110, has provided for voting by absent ballot in person,
the city clerk shall issue an absent ballot to the registered voter, and the ballot must be voted on the premises of the city clerk’s office and returned to the city clerk. The city clerk shall follow the same procedure as in the case of absent ballots received by mail.
2. If the governing body of the city has provided for voting by absent ballot in person pursuant to paragraph (b) of subsection 2 of NRS 293C.110, at least 20 days before a primary city election or general city election until 5 p.m. on:
(a) The Friday before the election; or
(b) If the office of a city clerk is not scheduled to be open on the Friday before the election, the Thursday before the election,
each city clerk shall provide a voting booth, with suitable equipment for voting, on the premises of the city clerk’s office for use by registered voters who are issued absent ballots in accordance with this section.
(Added to NRS by 1997, 3433; A 1999, 271, 679)
1. Definition for Absent ballot
A ballot voted by a person who expects to be or is absent from the polling place for his or her precinct or district on election day.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.013.
2. Definition for Registered voter
An elector who has completed the procedure prescribed by law for registration as a voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.090.
3. Definition for General city election
An election held pursuant to NRS 293C.115, 293C.140 or 293C.145. The term includes a general municipal election held pursuant to the provisions of a special charter of an incorporated city.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.059.
4. Definition for Primary city election
An election held pursuant to NRS 293C.115 or 293C.175. The term includes a primary municipal election held pursuant to the provisions of a special charter of an incorporated city.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.079.
5. Definition for Mail
The depositing of printed or written matter in a mailbox or post office for delivery by the United States Postal Service.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.065.
6. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
7. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
8. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.