N.R.S. 293C.297 – Closing of polls; admission of voters and other persons
Overview of Statute
This section provides procedures for handling voters waiting to vote at the hour of the closing of polls.
1. If at the hour of closing the polls there are any:
(a) Registered voters waiting in line to apply to vote at the polling place; or
(b) Electors waiting in line to apply to register to vote or apply to vote at the polling place pursuant to NRS 293.5772 to 293.5887, inclusive, the doors of the polling place must be closed after all those registered voters and electors have been admitted to the polling place. The registration of those electors and the voting by those registered voters and electors must continue until all such registration and voting has been completed.
2. The officer appointed by the chief law enforcement officer of the city shall allow other persons to enter the polling place after the doors have been closed pursuant to subsection 1 for the purpose of observing or any other legitimate purpose if there is room within the polling place and the admittance of those other persons will not interfere unduly with the registration of the electors and the voting by the registered voters and electors.
(Added to NRS by 1997, 3430; 2019, c.619.)
1. Definition for Registered voter
An elector who has completed the procedure prescribed by law for registration as a voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.090.
2. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
3. Definition for Elector
A person who is eligible to vote under the provisions of Section 1 of Article 2 of the Constitution of the State of Nevada.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.055.