N.R.S. 293C.291 – Posting of notice of death of candidate at polling place
Overview of Statute
This section provides procedures if a candidate whose name appears on a ballot dies prior to an election.
If a candidate whose name appears on the ballot at a primary city election or general city election dies after the applicable date set forth in:
1. NRS 293C.370; or
2. NRS 293.368, if the governing body of the city has adopted an ordinance pursuant to paragraph (a) of subsection 1 of NRS 293C.115, but before the time of the closing of the polls on the day of the election, the city clerk shall post a notice of the candidate’s death at each polling place where the candidate’s name will appear on the ballot for the primary city election or general city election.
3. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
4. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
5. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.