N.R.S. 293C.290 – Procedure for posting or publishing alphabetical listing of registered voters; tearing or defacing alphabetical listing prohibited; penalty
Overview of Statute
This section requires and provide procedures for posting an alphabetical listing of all registered voters for each precinct in a public area.
1. The city clerk shall:
(a) Require an election board officer to post an alphabetical listing of all registered voters for each precinct in a public area of each polling place in the city; or
(b) Publish on the Internet website of the city clerk an alphabetical listing of all registered voters for each precinct in the city.
3. If the city clerk:
(a) Requires an alphabetical listing to be posted in each polling place pursuant to paragraph (a) of subsection 1:
(1) An election board officer at the polling place shall, not less than four times during the hours in which the polling place is open, identify the name of each voter who voted at the polling place; and
(2) Each page of the alphabetical listing that is posted in a polling place must contain a notice which reads substantially as follows:
It is unlawful for any person to remove, tear, mark or otherwise deface this alphabetical listing of registered voters except an election board officer acting pursuant to NRS 293C.290.
(b) Publishes an alphabetical listing pursuant to paragraph (b) of subsection 1, the city clerk shall, not less than four times during the hours in which polling places in the city are open, identify on the Internet website of the city clerk the name of every voter who has voted at each polling place.
4. Any person who removes, tears, marks or otherwise defaces an alphabetical listing posted pursuant to this section with the intent to falsify or prevent others from readily ascertaining the name or precinct of any voter, or the fact that a voter has or has not voted, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
1. Definition for Election board
The persons appointed by each county or city clerk to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293B.027.
2. Definition for Registered voter
An elector who has completed the procedure prescribed by law for registration as a voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.090.
3. Definition for Election board officer
A person appointed to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.050.
4. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
6. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
7. Definition for Precinct
The smallest voting area in a political subdivision.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.077.