N.R.S. 293C.282 – Assistance to voter who is physically disabled or unable to read or write English
Overview of Statute
This section sets forth requirements and procedures for providing assistance to voters who are physically disabled or unable to read or write English.
1. Any registered voter who, because of a physical disability or an inability to read or write English, is unable to mark a ballot or use any voting device without assistance is entitled to assistance from a consenting person of his or her own choice, except:
(a) The voter’s employer or an agent of the voter’s employer; or
(b) An officer or agent of the voter’s labor organization.
2. A person providing assistance pursuant to this section to a voter in casting a vote shall not disclose any information with respect to the casting of that ballot.
3. The right to assistance in casting a ballot may not be denied or impaired when the need for assistance is apparent or is known to the election board or any member thereof or when the registered voter requests such assistance in any manner.
4. In addition to complying with the requirements of this section, the city clerk and election board officer shall, upon the request of a registered voter with a physical disability, make reasonable accommodations to allow the voter to vote at a polling place at which he or she is entitled to vote.
1. Definition for Election board
The persons appointed by each county or city clerk to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293B.027.
2. Definition for Registered voter
An elector who has completed the procedure prescribed by law for registration as a voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.090.
3. Definition for Physical disability
Blindness or any other physical handicap making it impracticable to cast a ballot.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.070.
4. Definition for Election board officer
A person appointed to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.050.
5. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
7. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
8. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.