N.R.S. 293C.275 – Procedure for taking registered voter’s signature
Overview of Statute
This section provides the procedure for taking and verifying a voter’s signature.
1. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 293.5772 to 293.5887, inclusive, and 293C.272:
(a) A registered voter who applies to vote must state his or her name to the election board officer in charge of the roster; and
(b) The election board officer shall:
(1) Announce the name of the registered voter;
(2) Instruct the registered voter to sign the roster or signature card;
(3) Verify the signature of the registered voter in the manner set forth in NRS 293C.270; and
(4) Verify that the registered voter has not already voted in that city in the current election.
2. If the signature does not match, the voter must be identified by:
(a) Answering questions from the election board officer covering the personal data which is reported on the application to register to vote;
(b) Providing the election board officer, orally or in writing, with other personal data which verifies the identity of the voter; or
(c) Providing the election board officer with proof of identification as described in NRS 293C.270 other than the voter registration card issued to the voter.
3. If the signature of the voter has changed in comparison to the signature on the application to register to vote, the voter must update his or her signature on a form prescribed by the Secretary of State.
1. Definition for Election board
The persons appointed by each county or city clerk to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293B.027.
2. Definition for Registered voter
An elector who has completed the procedure prescribed by law for registration as a voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.090.
3. Definition for Election board officer
A person appointed to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.050.
4. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
6. Definition for Roster
The record in printed or electronic form furnished to election board officers which contains a list of eligible voters and is to be used for obtaining the signature of each person applying for a ballot.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.095.
7. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.