N.R.S. 293C.272 – Identification of registered voter who is unable to sign name
Overview of Statute
This section provides for alternatives to signing one’s name in the roster for those persons physically unable to.
1. If, because of physical limitations, a registered voter is unable to sign his or her name in the roster or on a signature card as required by NRS 293C.270, the voter must be identified by:
(a) Answering questions from the election board officer covering the personal data which is reported on the application to register to vote;
(b) Providing the election board officer, orally or in writing, with other personal data which verifies the identity of the voter; or
(c) Providing the election board officer with proof of identification as described in NRS 293C.270 other than the voter registration card issued to the voter.
2. If the identity of the voter is verified, the election board officer shall indicate in the roster “Identified” by the voter’s name.
1. Definition for Election board
The persons appointed by each county or city clerk to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293B.027.
2. Definition for Registered voter
An elector who has completed the procedure prescribed by law for registration as a voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.090.
3. Definition for Election board officer
A person appointed to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.050.
5. Definition for Roster
The record in printed or electronic form furnished to election board officers which contains a list of eligible voters and is to be used for obtaining the signature of each person applying for a ballot.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.095.
6. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.