N.R.S. 293C.270 – Conditions for entitlement of person to vote; forms of identification to identify registered voter
Overview of Statute
This section requires persons who wish to vote to sign their name to be verified with the voter roster, and provides a list of appropriate forms of identification to be used at polling places.
1. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 293.5772 to 293.5887, inclusive, and 293C.272, if a person’s name appears in the roster or if the person provides an affirmation pursuant to NRS 293C.525, the person is entitled to vote and must sign his or her name in the roster or on a signature card when he or she applies to vote. The signature must be compared by an election board officer with the signature or a facsimile thereof on the person’s application to register to vote or one of the forms of identification listed in subsection 2.
2. The forms of identification that may be used to identify a voter at the polling place are:
(a) The voter registration card issued to the voter;
(b) A driver’s license;
(c) An identification card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles;
(d) A military identification card; or
(e) Any other form of identification issued by a governmental agency that contains the voter’s signature and physical description or picture.
3. The city clerk shall prescribe a procedure, approved by the Secretary of State, to verify that the voter has not already voted in that city in the current election.
1. Definition for Election board
The persons appointed by each county or city clerk to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293B.027.
2. Definition for Election board officer
A person appointed to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.050.
3. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
4. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
6. Definition for Roster
The record in printed or electronic form furnished to election board officers which contains a list of eligible voters and is to be used for obtaining the signature of each person applying for a ballot.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.095.
7. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.