N.R.S. 293C.267 – Time for opening and closing polls; duties and powers of officers of election board
Overview of Statute
This section provides for when and under what circumstances the polls may open and close. This section also provides for duties of the election board officers while polls are open.
1. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 293C.297, at all elections held pursuant to the provisions of this chapter, the polls must open at 7 a.m. and close at 7 p.m.
2. Upon opening the polls, one of the election board officers shall cause a proclamation to be made so that all present may be aware of the fact that applications will be received from:
(a) Registered voters who apply to vote at the polling place; and
(b) Electors who apply to register to vote or apply to vote at the polling place pursuant to NRS 293.5772 to 293.5887, inclusive.
3. No person, other than election board officers engaged in receiving, preparing or depositing ballots or registering electors, may be permitted inside the guardrail during the time the polls are open, except by authority of the election board as necessary to keep order and carry out the provisions of this chapter.
1. Definition for Election board
The persons appointed by each county or city clerk to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293B.027.
2. Definition for Registered voter
An elector who has completed the procedure prescribed by law for registration as a voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.090.
3. Definition for Election board officer
A person appointed to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.050.
5. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
6. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
7. Definition for Elector
A person who is eligible to vote under the provisions of Section 1 of Article 2 of the Constitution of the State of Nevada.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.055.