N.R.S. 293C.265 – Voting in person required at first city election after valid registration for voter who registered to vote by mail or computer; exceptions
Overview of Statute
This section requires voters who are voting for the first time in a city since registering to vote in said city to vote in person, and sets forth exceptions to that rule.
1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2 and in NRS 293.2725 and 293.3083, a person who registered by mail or computer to vote shall, for the first city election in which the person votes at which that registration is valid, vote in person unless he or she has previously voted in the county in which he or she is registered to vote.
2. The provisions of subsection 1 do not apply to a person who:
(a) Is entitled to vote in the manner prescribed in NRS 293C.342 to 293C.352, inclusive;
(b) Is entitled to vote an absent ballot pursuant to federal law, NRS 293C.317 or chapter 293D of NRS;
(c) Is disabled;
(d) Is provided the right to vote otherwise than in person pursuant to the Voting Accessibility for the Elderly and Handicapped Act, 52 U.S.C. §§ 20101 et seq.;
(e) Submits or has previously submitted a written request for an absent ballot that is signed by the registered voter before a notary public or other person authorized to administer an oath; or
(f) Requests an absent ballot in person at the office of the city clerk.
(Added to NRS by 1997, 3426; A 1999, 2164; 2001, 1437; 2003, 2187; 2011, 1929, 2102; 2019, c.619.)
1. Definition for Absent ballot
A ballot voted by a person who expects to be or is absent from the polling place for his or her precinct or district on election day.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.013.
2. Definition for Registered voter
An elector who has completed the procedure prescribed by law for registration as a voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.090.
3. Definition for Mail
The depositing of printed or written matter in a mailbox or post office for delivery by the United States Postal Service.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.065.
4. Definition for Oath
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.068.
5. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
6. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
7. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
Regulations & Guidance
NRS Cross References
Uniformed Military and Overseas Absentee Voters Act, NRS ch. 293D.