N.R.S. 293C.260 – Form of ballot for general city election; names of candidates to be grouped alphabetically; exception
Overview of Statute
This section sets forth instructions for how candidates’ names appear on a general election ballot.
1. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 293C.140, ballots for a general city election must contain the names of candidates who were nominated at the primary city election.
2. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 293.2565, the names of candidates must be grouped alphabetically under the title and length of term of the office for which those candidates filed.
(Added to NRS by 1997, 3425; A 2003, 1726)
1. Definition for General city election
An election held pursuant to NRS 293C.115, 293C.140 or 293C.145. The term includes a general municipal election held pursuant to the provisions of a special charter of an incorporated city.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.059.
2. Definition for Primary city election
An election held pursuant to NRS 293C.115 or 293C.175. The term includes a primary municipal election held pursuant to the provisions of a special charter of an incorporated city.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.079.
3. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
4. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.
Regulations & Guidance
Attorney General's Opinions
AGO 126 (1922) When a surname of a candidate is a hyphenated name, the entire name should appear on the ballot and its placement in alphabetical order is governed by the first letter of the name. (See NRS 293C.260.)