N.R.S. 293C.222 – Appointment of pupil as trainee: Qualifications; requirements; duties; compensation
Overview of Statute
This section allows the city clerk to appoint a trainee for the position of election board officer, and sets forth qualifications and appropriate duties for said trainee.
1. The city clerk may appoint a pupil as a trainee for the position of election board officer. To qualify for such an appointment, the pupil must be:
(a) A United States citizen, a resident of Nevada and a resident of the city in which the pupil serves;
(b) Enrolled in high school; and
(c) At the time of service, at least 16 years of age.
2. The city clerk may only appoint a pupil as a trainee if:
(a) The pupil is appointed without party affiliation;
(b) The city clerk sends the pupil a certificate stating the date and hours that the pupil will act as a trainee;
(c) At least 20 days before the election in which the pupil will act as a trainee, the principal of the high school or the assigned school counselor of the pupil receives the city clerk’s certificate and a written request signed by the pupil’s parent or guardian to be excused from school for the time specified in the certificate;
(d) The principal of the high school or the assigned school counselor of the pupil approves the pupil’s request; and
(e) The pupil attends the training class required by NRS 293B.260.
3. Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, the city clerk may assign a trainee such duties as the city clerk deems appropriate. The city clerk shall not require the trainee to perform those duties later than 10 p.m., or any applicable curfew, whichever is earlier.
4. The city clerk may compensate a trainee for service at the same rate fixed for election board officers generally.
(Added to NRS by 1999, 265; A 2003, 1658; 2015, 3167; 2019, c.619.)
1. Definition for Election board
The persons appointed by each county or city clerk to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293B.027.
2. Definition for Election board officer
A person appointed to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.050.
3. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
4. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
5. Definition for Board
As used in NRS 295.075 to 295.125, inclusive, unless the context otherwise requires, “board” means the board of county commissioners.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 295.075.