N.R.S. 293C.140 – Date of general city election in cities of population categories one and two; candidates to be voted upon by electors at large; terms of council members; exceptions
Overview of Statute
This section requires general elections in cities of a certain size. It provides for the timing of general elections and the length of terms for those elected to office.
1. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 293C.115, a general city election must be held in each city of population categories one and two on the second Tuesday after the first Monday in June of the first odd-numbered year after incorporation, and on the same day every 2 years thereafter as determined by law, ordinance or resolution, at which time there must be elected the elective city officers, the offices of which are required next to be filled by election. All candidates, except as otherwise provided in NRS 266.220, at the general city election must be voted upon by the electors of the city at large.
2. Unless the terms of office of city council members are extended by an ordinance adopted pursuant to NRS 293C.115, the terms of office are 4 years, which terms must be staggered. The council members elected to office immediately after incorporation shall decide, by lot, among themselves which of their offices expire at the next general city election, and thereafter the terms of office must be 4 years unless the terms are extended by an ordinance adopted pursuant to NRS 293C.115.
2. Definition for Elector
A person who is eligible to vote under the provisions of Section 1 of Article 2 of the Constitution of the State of Nevada.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.055.
3. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.
Notes from "State of Nevada Elections 2015," published on January 1, 2016, by Barbara K. Cegavske, Nevada Secretary of State
Ch. 336, Stats. 2015, which amended this section to change the date of the general city election, contains the following provision not included in NRS: "Sec. 15. The amendatory provisions of this act do not abrogate or affect the current term of office of any municipal officer who is serving in that office on January 1, 2016."