N.R.S. 293B.360 – Creation of special election boards; appointment of members to boards
Overview of Statute
This section requires the creation of a computer program and processing accuracy board for jurisdictions using a mechanical voting system. The section also allows for several other boards to be created by the county clerk, and provides requirements for said boards.
1. To facilitate the processing and computation of votes cast at any election conducted under a mechanical voting system, the county clerk shall create a computer program and processing accuracy board, and may create:
(a) A central ballot inspection board;
(b) An absent ballot mailing precinct inspection board;
(c) A ballot duplicating board;
(d) A ballot processing and packaging board; and
(e) Such additional boards or appoint such officers as the county clerk deems necessary for the expeditious processing of ballots.
2. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 3, the county clerk may determine the number of members to constitute any board. The county clerk shall make any appointments from among competent persons who are registered voters in this State. The members of each board must represent all political parties as equally as possible. The same person may be appointed to more than one board but must meet the particular qualifications for each board to which he or she is appointed.
3. If the county clerk creates a ballot duplicating board, the county clerk shall appoint to the board at least two members. The members of the ballot duplicating board must not all be of the same political party.
4. All persons appointed pursuant to this section serve at the pleasure of the county clerk.
1. Definition for County clerk
2. Definition for Absent ballot
A ballot voted by a person who expects to be or is absent from the polling place for his or her precinct or district on election day.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.013.
3. Definition for Political Party
Any minor or major political party.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.073.
4. Definition for Registered voter
An elector who has completed the procedure prescribed by law for registration as a voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.090.
5. Definition for Mechanical voting system
A system of voting whereby a voter may cast a vote:
1. On a device which mechanically or electronically compiles a total of the number of votes cast for each candidate and for or against each measure voted on; or
2. By marking a paper ballot which is subsequently counted on an electronic tabulator, counting device or computer.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.0659.
6. Definition for Mail
The depositing of printed or written matter in a mailbox or post office for delivery by the United States Postal Service.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.065.
7. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
8. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
10. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
11. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
12. Definition for Precinct
The smallest voting area in a political subdivision.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.077.