N.R.S. 293B.245 – Examination of mechanical recording devices by representatives of political parties before election
Overview of Statute
This section requires the county clerk to give notice to political parties of the preparation of mechanical recording devices, and provides parties with an opportunity to inspect such devices.
Before preparing mechanical recording devices for any election, the county clerk shall mail written notices to the chairs of the county central committees of at least two of the principal political parties, stating the time and place where the devices will be prepared. At the specified time, one representative of each such political party must be afforded an opportunity to see that the devices are in proper condition for use in the election. The representatives shall not interfere with the persons assigned to prepare the devices or assume any of their duties.
1. Definition for County clerk
2. Definition for Political Party
Any minor or major political party.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.073.
3. Definition for Central committee
The county or the state authority of a major political party.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.033.
4. Definition for Mechanical recording device
A device which mechanically or electronically compiles a total of the number of votes cast for each candidate and for or against each measure voted on.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.0657.
5. Definition for Mail
The depositing of printed or written matter in a mailbox or post office for delivery by the United States Postal Service.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.065.
6. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
7. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.