N.R.S. 293B.220 – Preparation of mechanical recording devices for use in voting
Overview of Statute
This section provides duties of the county or city clerk administering elections using mechanical voting systems.
The county or city clerk shall place the proper lists of offices and candidates and the statements of measures to be voted on on the mechanical recording devices, corresponding with the sample ballots provided for in this chapter, and shall put the devices in order, ready for use in voting.
1. Definition for Sample ballot
1. “Sample ballot” means a document distributed by a county or city clerk upon which is included a list of the offices, candidates and ballot questions that will appear on a ballot.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.097.
2. Definition for Mechanical recording device
A device which mechanically or electronically compiles a total of the number of votes cast for each candidate and for or against each measure voted on.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.0657.
3. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
4. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
5. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
6. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.