N.R.S. 293B.080 – “Straight” or “split” ticket
Overview of Statute
This section imposes requirements on the functionality of mechanical voting systems with respect to a voter’s ability to vote “straight” or “split” ticket.
A mechanical voting system must, except at primary elections, permit the voter to vote for all the candidates of one party or in part for the candidates of one party and in part for the candidates of one or more other parties.
1. Definition for Primary election
The election held pursuant to NRS 293.175.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.080.
2. Definition for Mechanical voting system
A system of voting whereby a voter may cast a vote:
1. On a device which mechanically or electronically compiles a total of the number of votes cast for each candidate and for or against each measure voted on; or
2. By marking a paper ballot which is subsequently counted on an electronic tabulator, counting device or computer.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.0659.
3. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.