N.R.S. 293.800 - Acts concerning registration of voters; violations of laws governing elections; crimes by public officers
Overview of Statute
This section prohibits certain acts concerning the registration of voters.
1. A person who, for himself, herself or another person, willfully gives a false answer or answers to questions propounded to the person by the registrar or field registrar of voters relating to the information called for by the application to register to vote, or who willfully falsifies the application in any particular, or who violates any of the provisions of the election laws of this State or knowingly encourages another person to violate those laws is guilty of a category E felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130.
2. A public officer or other person, upon whom any duty is imposed by this title, who willfully neglects his or her duty or willfully performs it in such a way as to hinder the objects and purposes of the election laws of this State, except where another penalty is provided, is guilty of a category E felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130.
3. If the person is a public officer, his or her office is forfeited upon conviction of any offense provided for in subsection 2.
4. Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, a person who causes or endeavors to cause his or her name to be registered, knowing that he or she is not an elector or will not be an elector on or before the day of the next ensuing election in the precinct or district in which he or she causes or endeavors to cause the registration to be made, and any other person who induces, aids or abets the person in the commission of either of the acts is guilty of a category E felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130. The provisions of this subsection do not apply to a person who preregisters to vote.
5. A field registrar or other person who provides to an elector an application to register to vote and who:
(a) Knowingly falsifies the application or knowingly causes an application to be falsified;
(b) Knowingly provides money or other compensation to another for a falsified application; or
(c) Intentionally fails to submit to the county clerk a completed application,
is guilty of a category E felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130.
1. Definition for County clerk
2. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
3. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
4. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
5. Definition for Elector
A person who is eligible to vote under the provisions of Section 1 of Article 2 of the Constitution of the State of Nevada.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.055.
6. Definition for Precinct
The smallest voting area in a political subdivision.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.077.