N.R.S. 293.525 - Vote after residence changed but registration not transferred; affirmation by elector; use of information regarding current address to correct registrar of voters’ register and roster
Overview of Statute
This section provides for a vote after residence to change, but not transfer registration.
1. Any elector who is presently registered and has changed residence after the last preceding general election and who fails to return or never receives a postcard mailed pursuant to NRS 293.5235, 293.530 or 293.535 who moved:
(a) From one precinct to another or from one congressional district to another within the same county must be allowed to vote in the precinct where the elector previously resided after providing an oral or written affirmation before an election board officer attesting to his or her new address.
(b) Within the same precinct must be allowed to vote after providing an oral or written affirmation before an election board officer attesting to his or her new address.
2. If an elector alleges that the records in the registrar of voters’ register or the roster incorrectly indicate that the elector has changed residence, the elector must be permitted to vote after providing an oral or written affirmation before an election board officer attesting that he or she continues to reside at the same address.
3. If an elector refuses to provide an oral or written affirmation attesting to his or her address as required by this section, the elector may only vote at the special polling place in the county in the manner set forth in NRS 293.304.
4. The county clerk shall use any information regarding the current address of an elector obtained pursuant to this section to correct information in the registrar of voters’ register and the roster.
1. Definition for County clerk
2. Definition for Election board
The persons appointed by each county or city clerk to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293B.027.
3. Definition for General election
The election held pursuant to NRS 293.12755.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.060.
4. Definition for Election board officer
A person appointed to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.050.
5. Definition for Mail
The depositing of printed or written matter in a mailbox or post office for delivery by the United States Postal Service.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.065.
6. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
8. Definition for Roster
The record in printed or electronic form furnished to election board officers which contains a list of eligible voters and is to be used for obtaining the signature of each person applying for a ballot.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.095.
9. Definition for Elector
A person who is eligible to vote under the provisions of Section 1 of Article 2 of the Constitution of the State of Nevada.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.055.
10. Definition for Precinct
The smallest voting area in a political subdivision.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.077.
Regulations & Guidance
Attorney General's Opinions
AGO 220 (1918) When registration cards show an elector has registered in more than one precinct, the county clerk should cancel the registration from the precinct in which the elector does not reside and let the true registration stand.
AGO 190 (1920) An elector who changes residence from one precinct to another in the same county may re-register at any time before registration is closed, but not after.