N.R.S. 293.317 - Invalid absent ballots
Overview of Statute
This section to provides provides that absent ballots received after the polls are closed at invalid.
1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, absent ballots, including special absent ballots, must be:
(a) Delivered by hand to the county clerk before the time set for closing of the polls pursuant to NRS 293.273; or
(b) Mailed to the county clerk and:
(1) Postmarked on or before the day of election; and
(2) Received by the county clerk within the period for the counting of absent ballots pursuant to subsection 2 of NRS 293.333.
2. If an absent ballot is received not more than 3 days after the day of the election and the date of the postmark cannot be determined, the absent ballot shall be deemed to have been postmarked on or before the day of the election.
1. Definition for County clerk
2. Definition for Absent ballot
A ballot voted by a person who expects to be or is absent from the polling place for his or her precinct or district on election day.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.013.
3. Definition for Mail
The depositing of printed or written matter in a mailbox or post office for delivery by the United States Postal Service.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.065.
4. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
5. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.